Thursday, August 03, 2006

On the Frontier: Laura Ingalls & I

Okay, that was interesting. Had no clue about audioblogging until 45 minutes ago. And voila, now there's one (albeit a boring test) on my blog. This technology thing just keeps getting more and more interesting. Like any passionate relationship, it can sure piss me off at times, but for the most part I think I'm in love.

Tomorrow, of course, I'll remember all my contemplation through the years regarding the bane that technology can be on society, the environment, children, etc., and how I've often fantasized about becoming a Luddite and/or living like the Ingalls family along the banks of some plum or blackberry or cottonwood creek. But for today? I'm excited to consider the possibilities of this new (to me anyway) technology.

In a brief moment of rare and personal clarity, it has just now occurred to me that Laura Ingalls Wilder and I are not so different after all. The thing that took Laura and her family on their journey--a journey I've been enamored with since I first read her books as a young girl--was perhaps first and foremost a desire for adventure. A desire to explore the frontier of this generous and vast country and to find a place for themselves within it (the often negative impact this Pioneer/Explorer/Adventurer desire had upon the Native American population notwithstanding). Following their hearts and prodded along the way by adventure and a desire to know more fully the limits of their being, they left their comfort zones and--with risk to limb/life/family/security/etc., drove all the way to the edges of that frontier.

Today, I stand looking out at another frontier. And feel somewhat blessed because of it.

Having just come off of a 10 day vacation with only sporadic access to a computer, I can imagine that having had audioblogging I might have accumulated some interesting posts here.
(Especially after those margaritas shared with my husband and our good friends Joe and Lynn.)

Seriously though, it feels like another opening into independent media/on the street reporting. Another opportunity to get the truth out. Like the next time I'm at a political event? If I don't have my camera or don't want to wait to get home and write or download video/pics, I can hit the new contact in my cell phone's address book--"audioblogging"-- and send an audio message--immediately. (Of course, people have to be reading it for it to matter, right? The point is though, the technology is there and people WILL use it. It can, and hopefully will, be a means for spreading truth.) I don't know about anyone else, but that strikes me as expletive left out incredible at the moment.

But, (said in an Eeyore sort of voice) will I personally do anything with this technology? My M.O. is to get very excited about something, have all sorts of visions for its application, etc., and then get overwhelmed by the possibilities...or distracted by something else.

I suppose time will answer that question.

For now, I'm like my friend Laura Ingalls Wilder. A little apprehensive about what the journey might look like. What it all might mean. Where I and my loved ones might end up. Perhaps the place has changed, but the adventure remains and the excitement is the same.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home